Monday, September 28, 2015

6 months later on TMW

For me this month marks one year of being sick and 6 month on the Myers way. When this picture came up on my Facebook as a memory from last September I could not believe that was me. The picture on the right is 1 year and 20 lbs ago... it was taken right before I became sick at a Barbie themed birthday party for my friend. The picture on the left was taken of me this weekend trying on dresses (I did end up buying that one- it even has pockets!).  I cannot believe I fit into a size 4! Last year I was somewhere around a size 8. It' was never about weight-loss- it was about healing. A lot of my other symptoms went away too that I am excited to share...

Before I started The Meyers Way Symptoms:

  • Ringing and Grinding noises in ears
  • Poor Sleep
  • Heart Palpitations
  • Uncontrollable Panic Attacks and Anxiety 
  • Headaches
  • Short of breath and Acid Reflux 
  • Bed-ridden Fatigue 
  • Hot face
  • Faint and dizziness especially after eating 
  • Numbness and Tingling on legs and arms
  • Very Blurry Vision 

Symptoms I've had my whole life which improved:

  • Seasonal Allergies (I had them so bad I was always stuffy)
  • Very Oily hair and skin (I no longer wear any makeup on my face when I used to use a powder every day to absorb oils)
  • Less acne or breakouts
  • Skin that has always been rashy has improved.
  • Better Moods
  • Weightloss

Symptoms still present (hopefully will improve):

  • Light sensitivity (has improved)
  • Brain fog, ADHD, trouble concentrating (has improved)
  • Blurry vision (only occasional now)
  • Tiredness/fatigue (has improved)

New issues since The Myers Way:

  • Bad PMS
  • Bloating after eating 

I am hoping the rest of my symptoms will clear up. I know it can take a year to heal your gut.  I'm driving a lot more and doing a lot more now. Fall is my favorite time of year and last year I didn't get to enjoy it from being stuck in bed. I'm even thinking of adding new foods back into my diet.

Things have been going pretty well. While cleaning out my cabinets because we are finally moving. I'm getting rid of a ton gluten free processed crap. I can't believe I ate that!


It feels great to wake up this morning and not be apartment-hunting. I would spend hours making phone calls and searching online. We have been looking since July as I am suspicious my current apartment has a mold problem. It's probably not a coincidence I came very sick 2 weeks after we moved here. It was so hard to find something in our price range! One place we walked into there was even mold on the ceiling. Or another we walked into smelled like cigarettes and cat pee. Or my personal favorite red flag moment: "there's a sex offender living on the second floor, thats ok right?"

Aside from apartment hunting, healing hasn't been easy; I had a regression a slight in August. I gained back a little weight, my thyroid levels increased and I started loosing a lot of hair. When my least favorite time of the month rolled around, my PMS was so bad for about 2 weeks; I was tired, headachy, extremely depressed, brain-foggy, bloated and crabby.

August was tough, I started working at the bar probably more than I should, as it was there busy season. I went from only working 2 slow nights a week to working 3-4, sometimes on very busy shifts. I loved the money and getting out of the house more but it definitely took away from the time I had to prepare meals. I started to eat a lot of the same things- salads with avocado to fill me and quick pieces of chicken. I was also eating a sweet potato a day. I wasn't cheating or anything outside of The Myers Way meal plan just not eating enough of a variety of foods.

I started reading about developing food sensitivities; how we develop them when we eat the same things all the time. So I started eating a wider variety of foods. I also cut out sweet potatoes after reading in the GAPS diet some of the downfalls of it and what a difference it makes. I stopped eating a lot of salad- only occasionally now as I know raw vegetables are harder to digest. I'm working at the bar less now that it won't be so busy there; I will have more time to move (possibly buying an organic mattress and clean everything incase of mold contamination!) and keep up with cooking (thank god the new apartment has a dishwasher!!!). Ive also been trying to keep my stress levels down. We got an adorable cat a few weeks ago and it helps a lot with anxiety. I would have never thought that I could have a cat because I used to have very bad allergies but they're gone since TMW. The hair loss stopped and Ive lost weight again. I'm not sure what exactly helped these problems but something did! Hoping the healing continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment